Basirhat College was established on 16th November , 1947 at the Basirht Town Hall. From the very inception the College had its own library, though very small. Afterwards the College was shifted at the present location. Since then, the college library has been gradually enriched. The process of enrichment of the college Library is still going on.
College Library is the store-house of knowledge and now we call it an “Information Centre” also. The main objective of the Library is to fulfill the needs and demands of our Students/ Teachers/ Staff at minimum time. It is the chief goal and supreme business of the college library to give momentum to the stilled current of knowledge lying as the eternal lump of life. The College library also help to increase the knowledge of our users and to assist the students to be successful in their higher studies.
Our motto is to respect and follow the five laws of Library Science introduced by Dr. S. R. Ranganathan-
We have three major Libraries. Besides, each and every department has its own departmental library.
The Central Library is situated at 2nd floor of the main building adjacent to the Bengali department. The area of the Library is approx 2593 sq.ft. with adequate reading room space and very good collection of reading and reference books and journals along with Internet facilities.
The Morning Library is situated at ground floor of the main building. The area of the Library is approx 700 sq.ft. with good reading room facilities and good collection of reading and reference books.
BENGALI PG LIBRARY
The Bengali PG Library is situated at 2nd floor of the main building at department of Bengali. The area of the Library is approx 300 sq.ft. with good reading room facilities and very good collection of reading and reference books.
Each and every departments has its own departmental library for the benefit of Students and teachers.